1.1. HISTORICAL BACKGROUND
1.1.1 . Arrival of missionaries in 1907.
• 1907 : The Protestants of German Bethel Mission start what became the Presbyterian Church in Rwanda.
1.1.2 . Autonomy of the Church in 1959.
• 1959 : The church became autonomous ; the priority is the expansion of the church throughout the country.
1.1.3 . Peace building and Reconciliation.
• 1994 : Many pastors and church members perished in the genocide. The focus is then put on reconciliation and peace building.
1.1.4 . Phase 1 of decentralization
• Church’s centenERY celebration in 2007 and start of the first phase of the decentralization process in 2008.
1.1.5 . 2nd phase of decentralization
• Church Reformation, the 17 regions are replaced by seven autonomous presbyteries.
1.2. NAME AND MISSION
• "Presbyterian Church in Rwanda" (E.P.R)
• Build a strong church which Christians are spiritually mature, able to testify of God’s kingdom in the world and whose social environment is fully blossomed.
• Our first mission is to evangelize proclaiming the love and the salvation offered by God through his son Jesus Christ (Matthew 28 : 19-20) and secondly to demonstrate God’s love through concrete actions of human development and social.
• There is one God in three, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. He is a creator of the universe, and reign over the whole universe, by his love and kindness, offering blessings.
• Jesus Christ is God who became a man and remains the intercessor between God and men.
• The Holy Spirit helps and nurtures human life in Jesus Christ.
• The Holy Spirit makes man a new creature to allow the man to enter the community of believers "the Church of Jesus."